U Visa

Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes – Immigrant victims of certain crimes who have been helpful in a criminal investigation or prosecution may qualify for a visa that can lead to a green card. The ILRC’s practice manual entitled The U Visa: Obtaining Status for Immigrant Victims of Crime is a comprehensive explanation of the law and application process that also includes sample materials and practice tips.



Immigration Relief for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes – VAWA allows an abused spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident or an abused parent of a U.S. Citizen to self-petition for lawful status in the United States, receive employment authorization, and access public benefits. VAWA provides domestic violence survivors with the means that are essential to escaping violence and establishing safe, independent lives. ILRC has co-authored The VAWA Manual, a step-by-step guide to assist advocates working on VAWA cases.


T Visa

Immigration Relief for Survivors of Sex or Labor Trafficking – Human trafficking survivors may be eligible for lawful status, employment authorization, and a potential path to permanent residency, but they are a unique population with diverse and resource-intensive needs. The ILRC publishes a guide, Representing Survivors of Human Trafficking, on special considerations when working with human trafficking victims.

Business Visa

Business visas (or B-1 visas) for business travelers from around the world who need to travel to the United States for business-related reasons. Business visas allow an individual to engage in commerce in the United States, but not to engage in regular, permanent employment. The types of activities that are approved under a business visa might include consulting with business associates, negotiating contracts, making investments, settling estates, or attending conferences or conventions, whether business, professional, scientific or educational in nature. Prohibited activities include any sort of productive or long-term work. For example, while the bearer of a B-1 visa could attend a board meeting for a company, he or she could not then stay to manage that company on a day-to-day basis. Accepting any form of paid or unpaid employment in the United States would not be acceptable with a B-1 visa.


What if my Visa Application is Denied?

A consular officer could deny your application because he does not have all of the information required to determine your eligibility, or because you do not meet the criteria to qualify for the category to which you applied, or possibly because the law specifies that visas may otherwise be denied on certain grounds. For example, past actions such as drug-trafficking or other criminal activities may make a person ineligible for a visa.


Request a Consultation

Our intake specialist will contact you

Pin It on Pinterest