How Does A Man Verify Paternity In Arizona?

Home 9 Divorce and Family Law 9 How Does A Man Verify Paternity In Arizona?

Are you curious about how a man can verify paternity in Arizona? In this article, we will discuss the different ways that a man can establish paternity in Arizona. We will also provide some tips for those who are considering verifying paternity. So, whether you are a man who is wondering about your legal rights or you are someone who is thinking about filing a paternity case, read on for more information.

When Paternity Is Presumed

In Arizona, paternity is presumed if a man meets one of the following criteria:

  • He was married to the child’s mother at the time of the child’s birth, or within 300 days prior to the child’s birth.
  • He and the child’s mother went through a marriage ceremony, even if the marriage is later declared invalid.
  • He signed an affidavit of paternity.

An affidavit of paternity can be signed at any time, including after the child is born. If more than one man meets the criteria for presumed paternity, they will all be considered joint legal fathers. This means that they will share equal rights and responsibilities for the child.

Paternal Rights When Paternity Is Presumed

In Arizona, when a child is born to a married woman, her husband is presumed to be the child’s father. This presumption can be rebutted, however, with clear and convincing evidence. If paternity is disputed, either parent can request that the court order genetic testing. Once paternity is established, the father has the same rights and responsibilities as any other legal parent in Arizona. This includes the right to request custody or visitation, the responsibility to pay child support, and the ability to make decisions about the child’s welfare.

If you are an unmarried man who believes you may be the father of a child, it is important to establish paternity as soon as possible. Paternity gives you the legal right to seek custody or visitation, and the responsibility to pay child support. In Arizona, there are two ways to establish paternity: through a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity or through an order from the court.

Voluntary Acknowledgment

A voluntary acknowledgment of paternity can be completed at the hospital when the child is born, or it can be signed at any time after the child’s birth. It must be signed by both the mother and the father, and it must be witnessed by a notary public. Once it is filed with the Arizona Vital Records office, it becomes a legal determination of paternity.

If you are unsure about whether you are the father of a child, or if the mother does not want to sign a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity, you can ask the court to order paternity testing.

Paternity Testing

If you are not sure whether you are the father of a child, paternity testing can be used to establish paternity. Paternity tests can be ordered by the court or requested voluntarily. In Arizona, the following people can request a paternity test:

  • the mother of the child
  • the child
  • the alleged father
  • the child’s guardian or conservator
  • the state welfare department

A paternity test usually involves collecting DNA samples from the mother, the child, and the putative father. The DNA samples are then analyzed to see if they match. If the DNA samples match, it means that there is a 99.9% chance that the man is the child’s father.

If you are found to be the father of a child, you will be responsible for child support. In Arizona, child support is typically paid until the child turns 18 years old. However, in some cases, child support may be ordered to continue until the child finishes high school or turns 19 years old.

Adjudicate Paternity In Court

There are two ways to adjudicate paternity in court. The first is through what is called paternity action, and the second is through an order of affiliation.

A paternity action is a civil lawsuit that can be filed by either the mother or the father (or alleged father) of a child. In this type of lawsuit, the court will order genetic testing to be performed on the child and both potential parents. If the tests show that the man is indeed the child’s father, then he will be ordered to pay child support.

The second way to adjudicate paternity is through an order of filiation. This type of order can only be issued by a criminal court, and it requires that the man take a paternity test. If the test shows that he is the child’s father, then he will be required to pay child support.

In both cases, the man will only be required to pay child support if he is found to be the child’s father. If you are unsure about whether or not you are the father of a child, it is important to speak with an attorney to learn more about your legal options and how to proceed.

If you’re looking to establish paternity in Arizona, the process can be a little confusing. Give us a call today and we’ll walk you through everything you need to know. We’ll make sure that you have all the information you need to get started and make the best decision for your family.

Are You Looking for a Family Law Attorney You Can Trust?

The attorneys at GillespieShields are well-versed in a variety of different legal fields, ranging from family law to civil suits, employment disputes and probate cases. Although we specialize in several areas of practice, our greatest passion is family law. We believe in giving families peace of mind no matter their situation, and we fight hard to maintain that peace. Whether you’re filing for dissolution or divorce, determining custody of your children, or thinking about adopting children, our experienced attorneys are here to help you every step of the way.  During our private, one-on-one consultation, we’ll take the necessary time to answer and and all of our questions surrounding Arizona’s family laws, your family’s unique situation, and the possible court outcomes. Contact us today for your consultation!


The materials available on this website are for informational and entertainment purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.  You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking legal or other professional advice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments.  No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained on this website and we disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.


Pin It on Pinterest