Enforcing Child Support Orders in Arizona: Legal Options for Parents

Home 9 Divorce and Family Law 9 Enforcing Child Support Orders in Arizona: Legal Options for Parents

Child support is an essential aspect of family law that ensures the financial stability and well-being of children whose parents are separated or divorced. The non-custodial parent is usually required to provide financial assistance to the custodial parent to cover expenses related to the child’s upbringing, such as education, healthcare, and basic needs. However, not all parents comply with their child support obligations, which can lead to significant financial hardship for the custodial parent and negatively impact the child’s quality of life.

If you are a parent in Arizona who is struggling to receive child support payments from your ex-spouse, it’s important to know your legal options for enforcing child support orders. In this article, we’ll explore the various methods available under Arizona state law for enforcing child support orders. From wage garnishment and liens on property to seizure of assets and license suspension, we’ll discuss each option in detail so that you can make an informed decision about how best to proceed in your case. We will also highlight the importance of seeking help from professionals like attorneys specializing in family law matters when trying to enforce compliance with Child Support Orders.

Wage Withholding

Wage withholding is a fast, transparent, and secure method of receiving child support payments from the non-custodial parent. It eliminates any potential issues with non-payment by ensuring that the payments are taken directly from the wage earner’s paycheck on an ongoing basis. This means that the custodial parent can be sure that they will receive their payments in the timely manner in which they are needed. The wage withholding process is easy to initiate, simply requiring the filing of an income withholding order with the court which triggers the implementation of the payment deductions at the employer’s level. Even better, this system also prevents overpayments often common in other methods of payment since it is based on automated calculations. Ultimately, wage withholding provides stability and security as each party gets what has been established by either a court order or agreement between the parties.

Intercepting Tax Refunds

Intercepting tax refunds can be an effective solution for parents who are owed child support. This method enables the custodial parent to satisfy a debt that may have been outstanding for a while and ensures that the non-custodial parent is held accountable for their financial obligations. To intercept the tax refunds, the custodial parent must file a notice of lien with their state’s Department of Revenue. Once this document is filed, the government will take any state or federal tax refunds that are owed to the non-custodial parent, and redirect them to the custodial parent to cover any outstanding child support payments.

Suspending or Revoking Licenses

Suspending or revoking licenses can be an effective method of motivating non-custodial parents to pay their child support. This process is initiated when the custodial parent files a license suspension/revocation request with the court, after which point the non-custodial parent’s professional, occupational, or recreational licenses may be suspended or revoked. These types of licenses range from driver’s and pilot’s licenses to hunting and fishing permits; if payments are not made as promised, these privileges could temporarily or permanently disappear. While measures such as suspending or revoking licenses should be used sparingly and only if all other efforts have failed, they may be just what a non-custodial parent needs to catch up on overdue child support payments.

Contempt of Court Proceedings

Contempt of court is a powerful tool that custodial parents can use when a non-custodial parent has repeatedly failed to provide court-ordered child support. Although it is not a criminal proceeding, if found guilty, the judge can pass down punishment such as fines and community service. Furthermore, they may also order wage withholding or even license suspension or revocation to try and ensure that the non-custodial parent follows their court order on future occasions. Regardless of the outcome, filing for contempt of court proceedings can help put custodial parents in control when their child support isn’t being met.

  Seizure of Assets

Ultimately, criminal prosecution is rarely the best approach when it comes to collecting child support payments. However, severe non-payment of child support, including rejected orders or ignoring court dates, can lead to enforcement actions that are specifically designed to recoup the outstanding debt. Seizure of assets is a legal method employed in these cases and allows authorities to take money from frozen accounts or seize other physical property to collect the owed amount. It serves as an effective warning to any parent who believes they are exempt from the law when it comes to paying child support.

Credit Reporting

Credit reporting is another tool used by the courts to ensure that non-custodial parents pay their child support obligations on time. If a parent falls behind, their name and associated debt will be reported to the major credit bureaus and remain on their record until the debt is paid. This serves as a reminder to non-custodial parents as to the importance of timely payments, and it also informs future lenders or employers that this person has an outstanding debt. Although credit reporting is not a preferred method of collection, it may be employed when other methods have failed.

Passport Denial

The Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) has the power to deny, revoke, or limit a non-custodial parent’s passport if they are delinquent in their child support payments. This process begins when the custodial parent files an application with the OCSE and provides proof that the non-custodial parent has an unpaid child support debt. The OCSE will then forward the application to the State Department, which in turn will issue a letter notifying the non-custodial parent of their passport denial. If a payment plan is established and payments are made on time, the passport can be reinstated; however, if payments are not made, the passport can remain denied.  Passport denial is an effective tool to ensure that non-custodial parents adhere to their child support obligations and make timely payments.

If you are owed child support in Arizona and need help enforcing an existing child support order, there are several legal options available to you. You can request wage withholding, intercept tax refunds, suspend or revoke licenses, or file for contempt of court proceedings against the non-paying parent. If you have any questions about your specific situation, it is always best to speak with an attorney who specializes in family law.

Are You Looking for a Family Law Attorney You Can Trust?


Say goodbye to the stress and uncertainty of navigating complex family legal issues. At GillespieShields, our talented attorneys are more than just legal experts, they’re also compassionate advocates who understand the importance of finding peace for you and your family. With over 20 years of experience in family law in Arizona, as well as a wide range of other legal fields, we’ll work tirelessly to help you get the best possible outcome for your case. Whether you’re going through a divorce, battling for custody, or pursuing adoption, we offer guidance, support, and solutions. During your private consultation, we’ll take the time to get to know you and your family, answer all of your questions, and empower you with the knowledge you need to make informed decisions. Trust us to fight for you, so you can focus on what truly matters – your family. Contact us today for your consultation!


The materials available on this website are for informational and entertainment purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.  You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this site without seeking legal or other professional advice. The information presented on this website may not reflect the most current legal developments.  No action should be taken in reliance on the information contained on this website and we disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.


Pin It on Pinterest