Papago Golf Club is a beautiful public golf course set in the heart of Papago Park and its picturesque buttes. The course has carved out an amazing legacy, earning Top 100 Public honors for decades as well as taking top spot multiple times throughout Arizona’s history.
About Papago Golf Club
The Papago Golf Club was long considered the finest public golf course in Arizona. It is owned by Phoenix and packed with a great variety of challenging holes, many protected from desert heat by huge mesquite trees that grow around them.
A famous golf course architect, William Francis “Billy” Bell put emphasis on the natural topography of Papago to emphasize its rolling hills. He learned his craft from his father, Billy Sr., a renowned golfer himself. They collaborated on many highly rated California courses. Perhaps best known among the nearly one hundred courses to Billy’s credit is Torrey Pines in San Diego. He also designed Tucson Country Club and Wickenburg Country Club. The routing also showcases views of Buttes and Camelback Mountain as well as downtown Phoenix’s skyline.
- Enjoy Arizona’s natural beauty
- Explore the best rolling hills of Phoenix, AZ
- Experience this course designed by one of America’s top golf architects
- Play on an award-winning course with views overlooking downtown PhoenixExemplary course design (golf)
- Easily accessible (central Phoenix)
- Oldest golf course in Arizona (1925)
- Variety of holes to keep play enjoyable
In its prime, the course hosted over 100,000 rounds annually. In 1977 Jack Snyder made some modest redesigns to Papago Golf Course and it continued to be a popular place among Phoenix residents. However in recent years due to heavy traffic on this small golf course city officials decided action needed to be taken against it for more sustainable use of space and time by citizens visiting the area.
With a convenient location in the heart of Arizona’s valley, this par-72 course is sure to be an exciting place for golfers! The Papago Golf Club now has four sets of tee boxes and will play from 5,404 yards to 7,333 yards. Conveniently located less than two miles away from Sky Harbor International Airport (and all amenities), you’ll always have something fun planned after your round thanks to Phoenix’ thriving metropolis.
One of Arizona’s most challenging courses, Papago Golf Course has gotten an upgrade. With new irrigation systems and improved trees, fairways bunker tee boxes the course is more beautiful than ever before!
People who have played this golf course in the past will be surprised at all that it looks like now since extensive work has been done to deliver a better system for irrigating greens as well as fixing up bunkers, holes tees were renovated too so there are less trees but they made sure not alter any design strategies which make Papago one of America’s toughest challenges.
- Papago is a great place to play for avid golfers
- An 18 hole course that is full of challenges
- Specially designed holes which can be tough on beginners
- Challenging terrain and fairways, but forgiving greens
Papago Golf Club provides a challenge to golfers of all skill levels. It has undergone some renovation, but it still offers great play for both beginners and experienced players alike! The course features strategic bunkering and hazards meant to test your shot-making skills, while the varying tee lengths at each hole allow you plenty of options when choosing which club is best suited for the hazard ahead – or if there even will be one in front of you at all! Those who have played this revamped beauty are raving about how much fun they had playing on its fairways.
Papago Events – Great Venue. Great Service
Amidst a lush green lawn and panoramic views of the Valley, Papago Golf Club captures local culture with its casual atmosphere. The club features an acclaimed Lou’s Bar & Grille that opens to sprawling patio space surrounding it.
Lou’s mid-century modern inspired dining room and patio also offer ample space for small to medium sized groups, while the adjacent indoor/outdoor event hall Evie’s Pavilion (named for Evelyn Grubb) is ideal for weddings and bigger group events. While the venues speak themselves – they pride themselves on service. Their team of planners do whatever it takes to deliver an unforgettable experience visitors will remember.
- World-class golf course and restaurant
- Outstanding service from start to finish
- Exceptional venue for large or small groups
- A relaxed atmosphere
- Enjoy stunning views of the golf course
- Offers a variety of venues to fit any event
- Planner service made easy and personalized
- Unique and upscale facilities that speak for themselves
- Catering and staffing will be impeccable with an experienced team
By Azwatchdog – Own work, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5816262
Phoenix, Arizona is blessed to be the home of some of the country’s best golf courses. Here’s a short list of our favorites:
- Encanto Golf Course
- Papago Golf Club
- Grand Canyon University Championship Golf Course
- Stonecreek Golf Club
- Paradise Valley Golf Course
- Palo Verde Golf Course
- Arizona Grand Golf Course
- Cave Creek Golf Course
- Encanto 9-Hole Golf Course
All of these wonderful golf courses are located just a short distance from our location located at 7319 North 16th Street in Phoenix, Arizona! Stop by for a visit anytime!